Vulnerability and the 7 Things Exercise…
Last night after a weekend of being social with friends, I was finally alone. As I sat on my couch physically and mentally exhausted I started to cry. On the outside I try to project an image of someone who has their life together, a thriving business and not a care in the world. Unfortunately thats not the case. Letting my emotions out is not something that I am afraid to do, but sometimes these emotions come from my fear of not living my life to its full potential. My fear of not living the life I feel I truly deserve is growing larger and larger everyday. As I enter my 5th year in business I am more fearful than ever. I am not happy with where I am in life, not one bit. There is still a nagging itch in my soul that needs to be dealt with. If I let this fear grow it will swallow me up, but I won’t let that happen. When negative emotions and fear seep into your consciousness you have two options… One, is to let those emotions cripple you and give up, or two face those emotions head on and fight to overcome them. By overcoming your fears you will be able to get on the path that leads you to whatever true happiness is.
If you are afraid to be vulnerable or believe that you’re above doing a job or a task then success won’t come. As I try to change my thought pattern, I know there will be many ups and downs. Slowly though the ups will hopefully become more abundant than the downs.
I have an exercise for everyone to do, say these 3 statements to yourself every morning:
- (Name) I am proud of you because… list 7 things
- (Name) I forgive you for… list 7 things
- (Name) I commit to you that… list 7 things
and list 7 things for each statement for the next 21 days. This exercise isn’t easy, you may have to dig very deep to come up with 7 things for each. Try to come up with different things daily and they don’t have to be super serious either. Somethings you may not be able to come up with 7, thats ok, just be vulnerable with yourself.
Ben I am proud that you… 7 things
- Ben I am proud of you because you are passionate about what you do.
- Ben I am proud of you because you have not given up on your big dreams yet.
- Ben I am proud of you because you have not given in to your inner demons.
- Ben I am proud of you because you keep trying to find love.
- Ben I am proud of you because you try to take steps everyday towards your goals.
- Ben I am proud of you because you are 27 and don’t rely on anyones assistance to live in Seattle.
- Ben I am proud of you because you have made it to 27 years old in good health.
Ben I forgive you for… 7 things
- Ben I forgive you for being so hard on yourself.
- Ben I forgive you for being cold towards people you love.
- Ben I forgive you for letting anger get the best of you at times.
- Ben I forgive you for talking to yourself negatively.
- Ben I forgive you for not seeing the good things that you have in front of you.
Ben I commit to you that… 7 things
- Ben I commit to you that I will start to have more positive self talk.
- Ben I commit to you that I won’t give up on my dreams, even if they take years to come to fruition.
- Ben I commit to you that I will always take care of my physical body.
- Ben I commit to you that I will start fresh every morning.
- Ben I commit to you that I won’t let myself go to bed upset.
- Ben I commit to you that I will always try to help people.
- Ben I commit to you that I will keep trying to be the best version of myself that I possibly can.